Insightful and dependable interpretation of the latest developments in the Federal Courts
With the publication of this edition, Federal Courts Practice 2018 continues the tradition of providing advice on a complete range of judicial review, trial and appellate proceedings. Order now and get Thomson Reuters ProView™ version, which you can access as a smart eBook on your iPad or via your web browser. Written by a well-respected team of authors, Federal Courts Practice is a comprehensive guide to the laws that govern the Federal Courts, with insightful expert commentary and case digests. The 2018 edition includes:
- Introductory overview containing a comprehensive, insightful analysis of recent decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada and the Federal Courts on jurisdiction, judicial review, intellectual property, and maritime law issues. Recent key cases in jurisdiction, maritime law, and conflict of interest are considered and explained.
- Full text reproduction in both official languages of the current versions of the Federal Courts Act, Federal Courts Rules and Forms, the Federal Courts Immigration and Refugee Protection Rules, and the public interest immunity provisions of the Canada Evidence Act.
- Section-by-section and rule-by-rule analysis and commentary by the authors – a judge of the Federal Court and two senior practitioners – on the latest key decisions
- Recent leading decision by the Supreme Court of Canada on lawyers' duty of loyalty and other issues explained
- Bilingual forms and tariffs of fees under the Federal Courts Rules
New in this edition
- The Federal Courts Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. F-7 has been updated to S.C. 2017, c. 20
- The Canada Evidence Act, R.S.C. 1985, c.C-5 has been updated to S.C. 2017, c. 9
Legislation has been generally updated to Canada Gazette vol. 151:17 (August 23, 2017).
- The list of Judges and Prothonotaries has been updated.
- Author commentary has been added and updated to discuss developments in case law, legislative amendments, and changes to court processes and procedures outlined in Notices to the Profession.
- Part 1 - The Jurisdiction of the Federal Courts: An Overview has been updated by the authors.
- Windsor (City) v. Canadian Transit Co., 2016 SCC 54 (sections 3, 18.1 and 23 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Endean v. British Columbia, 2016 SCC 42 (section 3 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Apotex Inc. v. Ambrose, 2017 FC 487 (section 17 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Ernest v. Alberta Energy Regulator, 2017 SCC 1 (section 18.1 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Edmonton (City) v. Edmonton East (Capilano) Shopping Centres Ltd., 2016 SCC 47 (section 18.1 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Lapointe Rosenstein Marchand Melançon LLP v. Cassels Brock & Blackwell LLP, 2016 SCC 30 (section 50 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Douez v. Facebook, Inc., 2017 SCC 33 (section 50 of the Federal Courts Act)
- Google Inc. v. Equustek Solutions Inc., 2017 SCC 3 (section 20 of the Federal Courts Act and rule 373 of the Federal Courts Rules)
- Lizotte v. Aviva Insurance Company of Canada, 2016 SCC 52 (rule 223 of the Federal Courts Rules)
- Quebec (Criminal and Penal Prosecutions) v. Jodoin, 2017 SCC 26 (rule 404 of the Federal Courts Rules)
- Pintea v. Johns, 2017 SCC 23 (rule 466 of the Federal Courts Rules)
ProView eBook version is available through your web browser, or can be downloaded to your computer, tablet, or smartphone. See all available titles